Sunday, August 19, 2012

Davis Square Farmers Market

My visit this week was to the Davis Square Farmers Market and I have to say this is one of the prettiest farmers market I have been to.  It was set up in a long parking lot and it's two rows of great vendors with beautiful fruits and vegetables this time of year.  I got there right at noon, so everything was just set up and looked perfect!  Some of the larger vendors include Kimballs Fruit Farm, Blue Heron, and Hansons Farm.  There are many vendors for meats, fish, etc. such as Globe Fish Company and Westminster Meats.  For specialty foods there is Seta Mediterranean Foods, Hi rise Bread Company, and Danish Pastry House.  If you want to pick up a bottle of wine, you can go to Wesport Rivers Winery and Vineyard.  I recommend the Rose Pinot Noir.  This market is great for all your weekly shopping in one trip.

To be honest, I bought so much at the Waltham Market over the weekend, I really didn't need much for this market trip, but I have been dying to check out this market.  Since my husband had the day off and there are so many great restaurants in Davis Square, it was easy to convince him to come with.  All I bought this trip was a dozen eggs from Hanson farm.  I love to buy eggs that are all different sizes and colors.  The dozen that I got had a lot of blue eggs, which I love!  And it always freaks my husband out when he makes them because he thinks they have gone bad!

Also, since I over heard my dad saying he was making a trip to Springdell Farm, I had him pick me up some meat while he was there, so I was well stocked this week.  This weeks recipes includes hot sausage from Springdell Farm, along which peppers, onions, and potatoes from Dicks Market Garden.

Davis Square Farmers Market is located at Day and Herbert Street in Somerville and open on Wednesdays from 12-6pm.


Hot sausage with peppers, onion, and potato:




1lb Hot Sausage
1 Green Pepper sliced lengthwise
1 Medium Onion sliced lengthwise
2-3 Red Potatoes

Cut potatoes into small chunks.  Sauté in frying pan with a little bit of olive oil.  When the potatoes are starting to cook, add the peppers and onions.  Cover and let cook.  Meanwhile cook the sausage through and then cut into small chunks.  Mix with onions, peppers, and potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment