Thursday, April 4, 2013

Somerville Winter Farmers Market

Last Saturday, I bribed my husband into going to the Somerville Winter Farmers Market.  My bribe was that if he comes to the market with me, I would take him out to breakfast after.  Conveniently enough, this breakfast place, Ball Square Cafe, that I have been eying was less than a mile from the market.  So it worked out for both of us!

Somerville has a larger winter market compared to other markets that I have been to.  Some goodies that you can find there include Taza, chocolate, Great Cape baking co, Q's nuts, and Hi rise bread co.  I really wanted to try Q's nuts after reading their article in Edible Boston magazine.  So we had a little taste testing of various nuts and we decided on the sweet roasted nuts for the hubs and cayenne mango for me.  There is a great selection of flavors, lots of spicy, which I like, but also great flavors like garlic and rosemary.  We also had some good Bruins chat too!

I have really been liking the hummus from Seta's Mediterranean foods, so that was my next stop.  Then I checked out the seedlings from Enterprise Greenhouse.  I don't have much of a green thumb, so I passed on those, but I did get some red leaf lettuce and broccoli.  And my final purchase was some carrots from Winter Moon Roots.

Other vendors that were there include Dan's Brick Over Bread, Lilac Hedge Farm, Stillman's, Nobscot Artisan Cheese, Apex Orchards and more.  I guess I have a reason to go back!

Somerville Winter Farmers Market is located at Arts at the Amory in Somerville, MA from 9:30-2:00pm on Saturdays.  The last day of the market is April 13th, so get there while you can!  And check out Ball Square Cafe too! It was delicious!

Recipe of the Week:  Tomato, scallion frittata
These are all ingredients I purchased at Pawtucket Winter Farmers Market




8 eggs
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350.  In a oven proof skillet, I used a cast iron skillet, add the olive oil, tomatoes and scallions.  While that is cooking, lightly beat the 8 eggs.  Pour the eggs into the skillet and add the cheese.  Cook for about 2 minutes until set and then transfer to the oven for about 15 minutes or until brown on top.  Let cool and enjoy!








2 comments:

  1. I've only been to the Somerville Winter Farmer's Market twice, but my strongest memory is the smell of donuts upon entering. YUM. I'm not sure whether that company is still at market, but I can assure you I had to exert will power not to race to the source and buy up a while bag of donuts. My mantra was something like: vegetables. I'm here for VEGETABLES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely hard to resist all the treats!

    ReplyDelete