Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Garlic Scape Pesto

One of the many seasonal veggies that I have been into recently is garlic scapes.  I guess I am always into them this time of year, but I am intrigued about the many varieties I found at the Needham Farmers Market a couple weeks ago. 

I usually just chop them up and throw them into my salad, which is delicious.  But since I bought so many, I have been trying to find other ways to use them.  I chopped them up and threw them in with some green lentils along with some vegetable broth. It was a nice surprise when I got a burst of spice in a bite of lentils.  I have also been sauteing them in a bit of olive oil with spinach.  All are a good way to use garlic scapes, however, I offer up this recipe for the real garlic lovers.  Next time you are at the market, grab a handful and make this pesto.  I do recommend eating this alone or when you don't have to go out because you will reek of garlic!!

Garlic Scape Pesto



8-10 garlic scapes
handful of pistachios 
juice of 1/2 lemon plus zest
1/4 c parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil (I eyeball it until it makes a paste)

Put all ingredients in a food processor until it makes a thin paste.  I topped some zoodles with this pesto along with some sundried tomatoes to make a delicious dinner.  You could also use pasta or chicken and it would be delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment