Sunday, July 8, 2012

So Fresh!

Two weeks ago,  my step-brother got married at the Groton Country Club!  Congrats to him and his new wife!  Conveniently enough, the Groton Country Club is located near a great farm in Littleton, Springdell Farm.  Since my Dad is familiar with the area, he took me on a little farm adventure the next day.  He brought me to Gibbet Hill Grill.  Gibbet Hill Grill is located in Groton MA and well known for using meats, vegetables, fruit, and dairy from local farms, including their partner farm, Springdell Farm.  It is located on a beautiful hill where you can see the cows from Springdell Farm.  It's no surprise that many couples choose to have their wedding receptions here.  What I also found was a large garden in the back of the restaurant and an herb garden in the front of the restaurant. They are able to grow there own food and serve it at the restaurant!   This is a fairly new concept to me known as the farm to fork movement.

After a bit a research about the restaurant, I learned there is quite a bit of history about the farm that goes back to the 1600's.  Throughout all the history of the land, I found that Gibbet Hill Grill was established in the 2000's.  The land was purchased by a Groton native to preserve the land in the town.  The main source of their produce comes from this land, which is their own farm, Gibbet Hill Farm.  Gibbet Hill Grill also works with other local local farms for produce, dairy, meat, seafood, and beer and wine.  I saw a winery on their list that I used as favors at the rehearsal dinner for my wedding, Westport Winery, in an effort to support the local movement.  Since our adventure was in the morning, we didn't eat at the Gibbet Hill Grill, but we have before.  At the time, I did not know about there farm to fork philosophy, but I plan on going back to check out the in season local meals.  

Living close to the city, it is difficult to find a restaurant that is fortunate enough to have the land large enough to farm and run a restaurant.  On the Livin' Local Boston Facebook page, I posted a link to a new farm to fork restaurant, Farmstead Table, opening up in Newton Centre in the first week of August.  This restaurant will be featuring produce from local farms the Newton Community Farm, and farms in nearby towns such as Brookline, Norton, and Needham.  A restaurant up in Nashua, NH, The Saffron Bistro, recently hosted a farm to table dinner using ingredients from local New Hampshire farms to host a four course dinner.  I didn't attend this dinner, but I got to hear all about it from my Dad.  He even sent me a picture of the bees they used to make the local honey.  He frequents the Saffron Bistro and sends me texts about the local items on the menu each week.  I heard that there will be another farm to table dinner in the fall at the Saffron Bistro, in which I plan to attend.

I love the idea of supporting local farms by using their ingredients in the meals served.  Not only is it supporting local farms, but the quality and taste of your food will be so much better.  I will be looking for these farm to fork restaurants opening up in the Boston area.  I hope that this is a trend that will catch on!


Check out the photos from Gibbet Hill Grill

Free Range Black Angus


The Garden


The Herb Garden



3 comments:

  1. If your looking for something that blends the city farm experience try L'Espalier. The food is wonderful and the restaurant menu always has treats from their own farm called apple street farm. They even have special farm table dinners a few times a year http://www.lespalier.com/events/occasional.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for a city farm experience check out L'Espalier in Boston. The restaurant also runs it's own farm called apple street farm and they work a lot of the farm fresh ingredients into their menu. They also offer a special event farm table dinner a few times a year, I think they even have a tomato one this year :) http://www.lespalier.com/events/occasional.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, this is great! I will have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete