Tuesday, July 17, 2012

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

My market visit last week was to the Wayland Summer Farmers Market.  I couldn't wait to get back to this market because I wanted to visit Extra Virgin Foods (the vender).  I purchased a bottle of their olive oil at the Wayland Winter Farmers Market and I have been due for a refill for some time now. I love the taste of this olive oil to use on salads or to make my own salad dressing.   The olive oil has a very light peppery taste that I look for in a good olive oil.  The oil is great for cooking as well, I just prefer that nice taste on my salads.  Extra Virgin Foods also features greek yogurt, sun-dried olives, frozen greek yogurt, and spanakopita.

Other vendors you will find at the Wayland Summer Farmers Market include Brigham Farm, Caledonia Farm, Charlton Orchards, Flor D'italia Pasta & Cheese, Three Oak Farm, and many more.  Charlton Orchards has tons of blueberries and it appeared that some peaches and plums are starting to come out as well.  Oh the many tastes of summer!  I also sampled a sun-dried tomato spreadable cheese from Nobscot Artisan Cheese.  Delicious!  Since it is hot outside and I don't want to turn on my oven, I purchased some mixed greens, arugula, and scallions from Three Oak Farm out of Weston.  I immediately went home and made a fresh salad.  I also bought some breakfast sausage from Caledonia Farm to eat with my eggs in the morning.  On my way out of the market, I bought a lemonade from Hanson Farm.  This was a refreshing treat in a 32oz cup of fresh squeezed lemons, limes and oranges, with your choice of sweetener.  A nice addition was the fresh mint right from their farm.  Since it was a nice, hot summer day, this was my favorite part of the market.
What do you like to drink on a hot summer day?

You can check out the Wayland Summer Farmers Market on Wednesday from 12-5 at Russells Garden Center.

My trip to the market


Made into lunch!







No comments:

Post a Comment