Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Natick Farmers Market

Last spring, I made strawberry rhubarb jam and strawberry rhubarb pie (using Cindy Crawfords recipe).  Both came out delicious and I have been dying to make them again.  I was also going through some recipes in Animal Vegetable Miracle and found a recipe for strawberry rhubarb crisp.  Well this is going on my baking list.  I know the rhubarb is available at the farmers markets, but its still a bit early for strawberries.  So Saturday morning I was on a mission to get some strawberries.  I woke up early to go to the Natick Farmers Market on a beautiful morning.  The Natick Farmers Market is a large, busy market on the Natick Common.  There is everything from homemade soaps to baby clothes to an abundance of vegetables.  Although I didn't get my strawberries, I got asparagus, radishes, grapes tomatoes, cucumbers, and rhubarb.  Rhubarb freezes well so when I find the strawberries I will be ready to make strawberry rhubarb crisp and some jam.

Natick has some good vendors too!  Tangerini's Farm, Flats Mentor Farm, Natick Community Farm, Samira's homemade, Cookie Lady Treats, Everything Jalapeño and Not, Bagel Alley, Q's Nuts and many more.  You can also find wine, coffee, cheese, and fish.  There are many crafts as well. One vendor that I frequent is called Kaleidscope and she has great homemade soaps made out of goats milk. She comes to the market one time per month and I try to stock up on my favorites when she is there.

Natick Farmers Market is open on Saturdays from 9-1 on the Natick Common. I love to have a good cup of coffee in the morning, so you can stop by Bakery on the Common after you buy some great stuff!

It's still asparagus season, so I have another recipe :) I brought these to a friends graduation party over the weekend and they were gone quickly so they must have been good!

Recipe of the Week: asparagus wrapped in prosciutto 

1 bunch asparagus
1/3 pound prosciutto sliced thin
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400.  Chop the rough ends off the asparagus and wash.  Put asparagus in a baking dish and drizzle olive oil over asparagus coating well.  Liberally sprinkle salt and pepper.  Roast asparagus in the oven for 15 minutes.  Let cool completely.  Wrap 1/2 slice prosciutto around asparagus spear.  Serve at room temperature and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment