Friday, June 21, 2013

Opening day at the Waltham Farmers Market

Finally, the opening day of the Waltham Farmers Market!  The Waltham Farmers Market was the first farmers market that I have ever been to and has definitely changed my eating habits.  I couldn't believe the difference in the quality of food I was eating on a poor grad students budget.  And you can't beat this place, the location is great and it's on a Saturday morning.  I quickly got into a habit of yoga, coffee, farmers market every Saturday. It is located right in the center of town and there are tons of restaurants and shops to check out.  Here I am six years later still going to this market almost every Saturday.  I check out other markets as well, but this one will always be special to me.



I made sure to clear my morning to get there early.  The market was busy and full of nice strawberries and veggies to buy.  I love Dicks Market Garden because they always have tons of good stuff.  I got some juicy strawberries, cucumbers, lettuce, and a tomato.  And because I bought the cucumbers and lettuce, I got to choose another green for only a dollar.  I tried a nice leafy green called tot soi, which is similar to spinach.  It was really delicious and I have been sauteing it with some onion and putting it in my eggs each morning.  I also checked out a new vendor from Littleton MA called Spring Brook Farm.  They were a bit pricey for me, but I bought some garlic scapes and asparagus.    Another vendor that I love is Roma's Bakery.  They make these pies, not only with fruit, but veggies too.  They are 2/$10, so I bought spinach and mozzarella and roasted cauliflower and parmesan.  They freeze well too!  I stocked up before the winter to keep in my freezer for a quick bite.  While I was there I overheard a costumer saying that he still had some of his "stash" from the fall.  I guess I am not the only one that stocks up!

Another new vendor that I am super excited about is Soluna Garden Farm, which carries herbs and spices.  They will be coming every week starting June 22.  I have bought their rubs and spices and have been very happy with what I bought.  I have tried the rubs on steak, chicken, and salmon and it has given my meals a nice tang.  They have a one acre farm in Winchester MA and do not use any chemical, pesticides, or preservatives.

At lastly, there is a new food truck that I am looking forward to trying called Kefi's Kitchen.  They use local ingredients when possible and make items from scratch.  I can't wait to try to grilled cheese throw down!

Check out the Waltham Farmers Market on Saturdays from 9:30-2 on the corner of Main and Moody Street!  I hope you like it as much as I do!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment